Valentine’s Day can either create fear or joy in your heart. Several years ago, I was dreading another lonely Valentine’s Day. I didn’t want to stay at home but I didn’t want to feel out of place on this “romantic” day.
My first love has always been dancing – ballet, tap, jazz, even hula as a girl. One day, I read an article in the SF Gate about salsa dance lessons on Valentine’s Day. I was intrigued.
The organizer, Evan of Salsa Crazy, positioned the event as a great way for single people to mingle, have fun and not be intimidated. I went to the event and it worked on several levels:
- Targeted single men and women
- Provided an alternative to the usual mixers for singles
- The instructor didn’t take himself seriously, putting everyone at ease
- Though it was a club setting, the event was in the early evening so it wasn’t an intimidating “club” scene
- By rotating partners, you go to meet a lot of people but not stressful like speed dating
Evan is a great marketer. He knows how to market his product – salsa dancing – to the right market with the right message. He’s grown his business to include paid online videos and more.
And me? I didn’t find my true love at the event, but I did fall in love with salsa dancing!
technorati tags: Marketing Salsa crazy salsa dancing Valentines day
del.icio.us tags: Marketing Salsa crazy salsa dancing Valentines day
icerocket tags: Marketing Salsa crazy salsa dancing Valentines day
Leave a comment
Additional comments powered byBackType
Cece Salomon-Lee is director of marketing for ACTIVE Network, Business Solutions division, and author of PR Meets Marketing, which explores the intersection of public relations, marketing, and social media.
This blog contains Cece's personal opinions and are not representative of her company's.
- Power Pump XL Muscle on PRMeetsMarketing Weekly Articles: October 18, 2007
- Muscle Core X on PRMeetsMarketing Weekly Articles: October 18, 2007
- Lift and glow pro on PRMeetsMarketing Weekly Articles: October 18, 2007
- to by_ niejaki on Book Review – Digital Body Language by Steven Woods
- fast n furious 6 on My Top Five Free Online Productivity Tools